Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Eye & Tooth - III

You have heard that it has been said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I say unto you that you resist not evil, but whoever shall smite you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue you at the law and take away your coat, let him have it. And if he sue you again, let him have your cloak also. And whoever shall compel you to go a mile, go with him a mile, and whoever shall compel you to go with him two, you shall go with him two. Give to him that asks of you; and from him that would borrow of you, turn not away. (Matthew 5:38-42)

In Christ's day Roman soldiers could legally compel you to “go a mile” with them. The question is how this applies to us in our day.

Do you believe the commandment is to be taken literally? By this I mean, are we to not resist if they compel us to go two miles but resisting is fine if they compel us to go three? What does it mean for someone to “compel” you to do something? Are we really to “give to him that asks of you” and not turn away “him that would borrow of you”? What if someone asks to borrow something you need for yourself. Are you still to lend?

What happens if someone steals your vehicle or robs you of your bank balance at gunpoint? What happens if someone compels you to allow yourself to be raped? To allow your children or spouse to be raped or even slain? Is this commandment requiring the believer to endure endless abuses?

People do some very evil things to one another. Is the command to resist not evil all encompassing? Is it endless? Christ says God will bring your enemy to judgment if you do not revile or contend. Is this quick? How long must we endure before God will act? Do we just endure endless evil until he does?

To me the answer is a resounding NO. Problem is that the context of when you are instructed to “not forgive” your enemy and when God will justify you in taking vengeance requires the acceptance of revelation beyond the Bible. If someone who has read this blog wants to learn more about this subject they can reach out to me directly. For now, I'm trying to limit myself to the Bible.

And everyone that has forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold and shall inherit everlasting life. (Matthew 19:29)

He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me, and he who takes not his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. He who seeks to save his life shall lose it, and he who loses his life for my sake shall find it. (Matthew 10:34-39)

For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? Therefore, deny yourselves of these, and be not ashamed of me. (Mark 8:34-38)

I am not ashamed of Christ or in living his teachings. I wish to be the child of my Father who is in Heaven and to inherit the kingdom of Heaven and everlasting life.

This is my commandment: That you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no man than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do whatever I command you. (John 15:12-14)

If I do what Christ has commanded then I am His friend. If I am willing to lay down my life for Him should He call me to do such then in dying I will have obeyed the first great commandment.

Each of us should love the Lord this much. To love Him more than our parents or children. To be willing to keep His commandments even if it means our death or the loss of a loved one.

Are you willing to do so?

Next